Friday, January 29, 2010

chair symbols

My ideas for the chair series center around connection, ancestry, and family. I've found that chairs are a useful symbol in portraying these ideas (I just haven't found the best way to do it yet)

The following are my associations and thoughts regarding the symbols in my work:

Chairs
- for families or individuals
- chairs can be stand-ins but still ambiguous about identity (not about identity)
- they have arms, legs, seats and backs
- Mary as a throne for Jesus, how mothers are thrones
- “no empty chairs” (Elder Maxwell)
- “mercy seat” or “throne of God” how we can become Gods, our own thrones etc.
- judgment seat
- D&C 69:6 "For the land of Zion shall be a seat and place to receive and do all these things"
- A seat prepared at the feast of the Lord
- Ether 12:37 "And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father."
- Reference to domesticity, women in the home etc.
Patterns
- Temple work
- Patterns in our lives that parallel the patterns in others lives
- The pattern of our lives that leads us back to Christ
- Patterns created in ancestry
- As a reference to quilting, domesticity, pioneer heritage
- Sacred geometry
Repetition
- Reference back to patterns
- Monotony, mundane, arduous, endurance
- Little things make up big things, being a part of something bigger

No comments:

Post a Comment